Once again, Peter White Public Library, Dr. Allyn Roberts, and the Marquette Monthly are sponsoring a teen writing competition for high school students, including those who are home schooled, in grades 9 through 12. There are three categories: Poetry, Flash Fiction, and Nonfiction Memoirs.
Submission requirements (pdf version):
- Entries must be no longer than 750 words. Entries must not have been published previously. Entries must be typed and double spaced. Poetry may be typed in a unique style befitting the poem.
- A typed cover sheet must include the writer’s name, address, phone number, school and grade, plus the entry’s word count. The writer’s name should not appear on any page of the actual entry. Please attach the cover sheet securely to the entry. Keep a copy of your entry for your records.
- Writers unfamiliar with the new category of flash fiction can find information online, stop by the PWPL Teen Services desk for a brief explanation, or email email@example.com.
- The contest is open to residents of Peter White Public Library’s service area: City of Marquette and townships of Marquette, Chocolay, Ewing, Sands, Skandia, Turin, Wells, and West Branch, as well as Peter White Public Library non-resident card holders.
- Only one submission total per writer will be accepted.
- Entries will not be returned. Winners will be called in April. Prizes will be awarded at a reception for writers, friends, and family on Wednesday, April 25, at 7pm.
Entries must be postmarked or brought to the library by 9:00 pm on Thursday, March 15, 2018.
Send your entry to:
Teen Writing Competition
Peter White Public Library
217 N. Front St.
Marquette, MI 49855
If you prefer, you may bring your entry to the Teen Services desk on the main floor of the library, or the Youth Services desk on the lower level.
There will be a total of 9 prizes:
- $125 first place in each of the 3 categories
- $75 second place in each of the 3 categories
- $50 third place in each of the 3 categories
Additional prizes of $25 for honorable mention will be awarded at the judges’ discretion.
For more information, please call the Teen Services Department at 906-226-4321 or Youth Services at 226-4323; or email firstname.lastname@example.org.