Building Project Components:
Historic Building Restoration
Peter White Public Library is one of Marquette’s most beloved facilities. This building opened in 1904 and has been a cornerstone to the downtown community ever since. Updates and maintenance to this facility are ongoing, necessary and costly including:
- Façade repair and tuck-pointing of all masonry. This is an issue of immediate need as there is significant damage in the 1904 façade.
- Reconstruct 1904 foundation system. This is connected to the façade repair, extent of damage to be determined.
- Roof repairs also connected to façade repairs. Roof replacement will also include areas which are impacted by HVAC and Chiller updates.
- Resealing of all building windows.
- Estimate for these repairs: $1,002,000
Improved Energy Efficiency and Building Access
The 2000 addition will be 20 years old soon. Lighting efficiency, heating and cooling equipment, and climate control updates are top priorities. These updates will reduce utility costs and help the library dedicate its resources to the programs and services patrons value most. Energy efficiency also ensures a more enjoyable environment for our visitors.
- Repairs to atrium windows needed for reduction in heat gain and weather proofing.
- Updates to heating and cooling equipment as well as improved climate control measures.
- Barrier Free Updates including Ridge Street entrance and restrooms.
- Estimate for these improvements: $800,000
Updated Safety, Technology and Furnishings
The Peter White Public Library sees an average of over 800 patrons a day. This level of public traffic has resulted in the need for updates and repairs to carpet, seating, tables and general building upkeep.
- Replacing carpet in building: much of existing carpet is buckled and in poor condition.
- Upgraded wiring and electric/internet access, providing additional charging and internet access points in the library.
- Repairs to library furniture and technology in meeting rooms and seating areas.
- Additional lighting on top floor in Reference area.
- Security camera system upgrade and additional camera locations.
- Estimate for these updates: $800,000
Space Reorganization and Additional Spaces for Popular Services
Based on feedback from our March Space Planning sessions, our community really appreciates the library’s meeting rooms, youth services, and all programming events. Based on this input, the following priorities will be addressed in this plan:
- Youth programming room, designed and dedicated to programming for youth, allowing the community room to be more widely used.
- Sound proofing in the Community Room and the Marquette Arts and Culture Center. This will allow both areas to be used simultaneously.
- Material checkout options in Youth Services area. Potentially self-service checkout options on all floors.
- Addition of a fully integrated technology meeting room for video conferencing and other technology programming.
- Tween Room for youth ages 8-13.
- Additions and reorganization of the Teen Zone.
- Designated quiet reading and study spaces.
- Designated active spaces for collaborative uses.
- Estimate for these improvements: $800,000.
Architectural fees, contingencies, etc: $598,000
Bond Fees, Legal Fees: $205,000
Total Bond Proposal: $4,205,000
See the full report from our space planning focus group sessions.
See the Building Project Timeline. (This page will be updated as more information becomes available.)
For more information:
Andrea is available each month for drop-in discussion. These sessions take place on the main floor of the Library, across from the Circulation Desk. Andrea will be available from 10:00 am – 11:30 am AND 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm on the following dates:
- Tuesday, October 3
- Tuesday, November 7
- Tuesday, December 5
If you have any questions or concerns about the Library Improvement Plan, please contact Library Director, Andrea Ingmire at any time.
Andrea Ingmire, Library Director
Thank you for your continued support of the Peter White Public Library!
(Updated 14 August 2017.)