Once again, Peter White Public Library is hosting a series of programs in honor of Mental Health Awareness Month.
This May we will screen four films, host professional speakers on Depression and Memory Care, and facilitate a book discussion.
See poster for a complete list of Your Mind Matters programs.
Big improvements are coming to the Children’s Room this year. Due to the construction, the Children’s Department will be moving to a temporary location in the Westwood Mall of Marquette Township in May 2018.
- Children’s Department will be closed for the move April 30-May 6, 2018. All children’s services will be unavailable at for the duration. Holds placed on materials will be filled after the branch opens. Teen services will continue as normal.
- The Children’s Branch at the mall will reopen Monday May 7, 2018.
- Children’s regular programming will be suspended April 30-June 8, 2018.
- Programming will resume Saturday June 9, 2018 with the Summer Reading Kickoff Concert with Corinne Rockow at 11:00 am and will continue throughout the summer at the Children’s Branch. The occasional program will take place at the library or off-site and such location changes will all be noted on posters and online.
- Teen programming will take place at the Peter White Library.
- See our complete Summer Reading schedule of events
- The Children’s Department plans to move back to the renovated and expanded space at PWPL in November 2018.
Services available at the Branch location will include a small play area, computers and tablets, access to part of the children’s collection, material checkout and return, material holds pickup, and library card sign up. Items from the children’s collection that remain at the library will still be available via holds.
Can’t make it to the mall? Find us at Lower Harbor park for an all-ages interactive storytime Thursdays, starting June 14 at 9:30 am.
Starting May 7, 2018, the PWPL Children’s Branch at the Westwood Mall will have the following hours:
- Monday-Thursday: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Friday: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Saturday: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed
The Westwood Mall is providing the space for the Children’s Branch and PWPL is covering the cost of utilities. The Children’s Library will be located in the former Vanity Store, adjacent to Bath and Body Works.
We will continue to post information on our website as the project evolves. Sign up for Library Insider or Events email updates.
Questions? We want to help! Call Youth Services at 906/226-4323 or find us on Facebook.
Regular visitors are already aware of some of the shifts in collections as we prepare for the construction and remodeling. All patrons will want to know about the moves about to take place on May 1.
The Children’s Room is moving to a temporary location at the Westwood Mall. (A huge thank you to the Marquette Township Westwood Mall for providing space to the library during this time.)
If you are a regular users of the Children’s Room, you will want to note the following dates:
- Closed April 30 – May 6: Moving week (Children’s collection will be unavailable this week. Holds will be pulled after the branch is open.)
- Reopening Monday, May 7: Children’s Branch will open at the Westwood Mall (See branch hours below.)
- Programming resumes June 9: Summer Reading Program Kickoff – Get Ready to Rock!
- November 2018 – Moving back to PWPL
The PWPL Children’s Branch will have the following hours:
- Monday – Thursday, 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Friday, 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Saturday, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Construction will require that the lower level of the library is closed to the public starting May 1.
MACC offices – Will be located in the Peter White Conference Room on the main floor. Marquette Arts and Culture Center may be reached during their regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm) at their regular phone number, 906/228-0472.
– Will be closed May – November. We will continue to hold programs in alternative spaces. Check our online calendar
for up to date information.
The Building Love series of events started in January with four programs centered around the theme of World Cultures. The themes and the programs were developed by a group of local volunteers who approached the library programming office, wanting to create series of events that promote positive social change.
The Building Love programs have proved very popular with patrons, whether it be for a special documentary, a book discussion or a community conversation. They continue this month and will wrap up in May.
The remaining programs are as follows:
April theme, Environment (see poster)
- Thursday, April 12, 7:00 pm, UP Environment Interactive World Cafe
- Thursday April 19, 7:00 pm, Book Study (continued) The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
May theme, Our Children (see poster)
- Monday, May 7, 7:00 pm, DocuMonday film: Babies
- Wednesday, May 9, 6:00 pm, Children from Alaska to the UP: Working through Adversity toward Resilience
- Monday, May 21, 7:00 pm, Documentary film: Do It for Daniel
- Thursday May 17, 7:00 pm, Book Study (continued) The Immortal Lile of Henrietta Lacks
April 5, 2018 the Library Board of Trustees met in special session to review construction bids. Closner Construction was awarded the library’s contract. We are excited to work with a local company on this important project.
Great Michigan Read is a biennial statewide literary program focusing on humanities themes. The Great Michigan Read aims to connect us as Michiganians by deepening our understanding of our state, our society, and our humanity. A statewide panel of teachers, librarians, community leaders and book lovers select the Great Michigan Read every two years. The 2017-18 Great Michigan Read title is X: A Novel by Ilyasah Shabazz and Kekla Magoon. Learn more about this statewide program at The Michigan Humanities Council.
Programming at Peter White will kick-off on March 14 with a concert by the MSHS Jazz Band. See the complete list of events.
Are you interested in receiving e-mail notification for Library events? You can sign-up here to receive our monthly program brochures and periodic notification for special events.