We have big things planned for 2018 at Peter White Public Library. Based on feedback from patrons and voters, we are planning a series of improvements to both the library building and the services we offer. If you would like to stay in the loop as these improvements are implemented, sign-up for email updates here:
Round up your friends for the biggest test of your knowledge, memory and nerves of steel ever held in Marquette, Michigan!
That’s right—a spelling bee!
February 23, 2018
Sign in & Pre-game: 5:30 pm
Bee Starts at 7:00 pm Sharp!
Marquette Masonic Center Ballroom
Not just any spelling bee, but one just for adults (21+ only, please)! And not just any spelling bee format, but one where you can purchase “cheats” to help you advance in the competition.
Get a clue, skip words or punish another team—whatever it takes to get to the final round! Cozen, swindle and scam your way to victory!
Your team works together in the preliminary rounds until the field gets narrowed to just six teams. Then, it’s individual spelling time on stage!
Costumes are encouraged!
A cash bar featuring a special Blackrocks Brewery concoction will be available!
Team Entry: $100.00/team (up to 4 people per team) to benefit the Peter White Public Library Development Fund
There is a $5.05 fee for the convenience of online registration through Eventbrite:
To avoid the fee, you may also register in person at the Peter White Public Library Circulation Desk or by phone at (906) 226-4305. Thank you!
See event poster.
Once again, Peter White Public Library, Dr. Allyn Roberts, and the Marquette Monthly are sponsoring a teen writing competition for high school students, including those who are home schooled, in grades 9 through 12. There are three categories: Poetry, Flash Fiction, and Nonfiction Memoirs.
Submission requirements (pdf version):
- Entries must be no longer than 750 words. Entries must not have been published previously. Entries must be typed and double spaced. Poetry may be typed in a unique style befitting the poem.
- A typed cover sheet must include the writer’s name, address, phone number, school and grade, plus the entry’s word count. The writer’s name should not appear on any page of the actual entry. Please attach the cover sheet securely to the entry. Keep a copy of your entry for your records.
- Writers unfamiliar with the new category of flash fiction can find information online, stop by the PWPL Teen Services desk for a brief explanation, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The contest is open to residents of Peter White Public Library’s service area: City of Marquette and townships of Marquette, Chocolay, Ewing, Sands, Skandia, Turin, Wells, and West Branch, as well as Peter White Public Library non-resident card holders.
- Only one submission total per writer will be accepted.
- Entries will not be returned. Winners will be called in April. Prizes will be awarded at a reception for writers, friends, and family on Wednesday, April 25, at 7pm.
Entries must be postmarked or brought to the library by 9:00 pm on Thursday, March 15, 2018.
Send your entry to:
Teen Writing Competition
Peter White Public Library
217 N. Front St.
Marquette, MI 49855
If you prefer, you may bring your entry to the Teen Services desk on the main floor of the library, or the Youth Services desk on the lower level.
There will be a total of 9 prizes:
- $125 first place in each of the 3 categories
- $75 second place in each of the 3 categories
- $50 third place in each of the 3 categories
Additional prizes of $25 for honorable mention will be awarded at the judges’ discretion.
For more information, please call the Teen Services Department at 906-226-4321 or Youth Services at 226-4323; or email email@example.com.
Learn how to access our digital collection of audio books and e-books from your smart phone and tablet.
Watch this locally produced online video and learn how to download the free Libby app and how to check-out digital materials using your Peter White Public Library card.
This is a free service for all PWPL library card holders.
Now available in sizes x-small through xx-large, a t-shirt sure to please all the readers on your holiday shopping list. Shirts are $15.00 a piece and are on sale at the Circulation Desk.
…A Party and an Art Show!
Did you dress as a Wookie for Halloween? Do you have the Star Wars theme set as the ringtone on your phone? Do you spend copious amounts of time wondering just who Rey’s parents are and why they left her on Tatooine? (What is it about that planet?)
Know that you are not alone in this universe. We at The Library are also a bit Star Wars obsessed and are busy planning what we think will be the party of the new Star Wars movie release season. This all-ages event will include galactic crafts, games with Taiga, snacks in our Cantina, futuristic music by Jeremy Morelock and Denise Owens, on-site make-up artistry demonstration, a costume contest, and an art show in the MACC gallery. (See poster for more information.)
At this time, make sure you block off Friday, December 15 from 5-9:00 pm on your calendar.
You might also want to start creating if you’d like to enter the MACC art show. Any artwork that embodies the spirit of Star Wars will be accepted in this week-long, non-juried show open to all ages and experience levels. All work must be submitted to the MACC by Wednesday December 12, 2017 before 5:00 p.m.
Specifications: No size limitation. All artistic mediums are welcomed. 2D works must be ready to hang, except for unframed art by youth ages 7-18 that may be adhered with tape. Number of pieces, per artist, will depend on the sizes and available space. Entry forms are available at the MACC or may be requested by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Call PWPL Youth Services at 906/226-4323 or Marquette Arts and Culture Center at 906/228-0472.
Tree registration is now open for this year’s Winter Wonderland Walk. The display will debut at the library’s Holiday Open House, Saturday, December 2, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. Trees will remain on display throughout the month of December.
For all the details, see our Tree Registration page.