Big improvements are coming to the Children’s Room this year. Due to the construction, the Children’s Department will be moving to a temporary location in the Westwood Mall of Marquette Township in May 2018.
- Children’s Department will be closed for the move April 30-May 6, 2018. All children’s services will be unavailable at for the duration. Holds placed on materials will be filled after the branch opens. Teen services will continue as normal.
- The Children’s Branch at the mall will reopen Monday May 7, 2018.
- Children’s regular programming will be suspended April 30-June 8, 2018.
- Programming will resume Saturday June 9, 2018 with the Summer Reading Kickoff Concert with Corinne Rockow at 11:00 am and will continue throughout the summer at the Children’s Branch. The occasional program will take place at the library or off-site and such location changes will all be noted on posters and online.
- Teen programming will take place at the Peter White Library.
- See our complete Summer Reading schedule of events
- The Children’s Department plans to move back to the renovated and expanded space at PWPL in November 2018.
Services available at the Branch location will include a small play area, computers and tablets, access to part of the children’s collection, material checkout and return, material holds pickup, and library card sign up. Items from the children’s collection that remain at the library will still be available via holds.
Can’t make it to the mall? Find us at Lower Harbor park for an all-ages interactive storytime Thursdays, starting June 14 at 9:30 am.
Starting May 7, 2018, the PWPL Children’s Branch at the Westwood Mall will have the following hours:
- Monday-Thursday: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Friday: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Saturday: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed
The Westwood Mall is providing the space for the Children’s Branch and PWPL is covering the cost of utilities. The Children’s Library will be located in the former Vanity Store, adjacent to Bath and Body Works.
We will continue to post information on our website as the project evolves. Sign up for Library Insider or Events email updates.
Questions? We want to help! Call Youth Services at 906/226-4323 or find us on Facebook.
Regular visitors are already aware of some of the shifts in collections as we prepare for the construction and remodeling. All patrons will want to know about the moves about to take place on May 1.
The Children’s Room is moving to a temporary location at the Westwood Mall. (A huge thank you to the Marquette Township Westwood Mall for providing space to the library during this time.)
If you are a regular users of the Children’s Room, you will want to note the following dates:
- Closed April 30 – May 6: Moving week (Children’s collection will be unavailable this week. Holds will be pulled after the branch is open.)
- Reopening Monday, May 7: Children’s Branch will open at the Westwood Mall (See branch hours below.)
- Programming resumes June 9: Summer Reading Program Kickoff – Get Ready to Rock!
- November 2018 – Moving back to PWPL
The PWPL Children’s Branch will have the following hours:
- Monday – Thursday, 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Friday, 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Saturday, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Construction will require that the lower level of the library is closed to the public starting May 1.
MACC offices – Will be located in the Peter White Conference Room on the main floor. Marquette Arts and Culture Center may be reached during their regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm) at their regular phone number, 906/228-0472.
– Will be closed May – November. We will continue to hold programs in alternative spaces. Check our online calendar
for up to date information.
April 5, 2018 the Library Board of Trustees met in special session to review construction bids. Closner Construction was awarded the library’s contract. We are excited to work with a local company on this important project.
We have big things planned for 2018 at Peter White Public Library. Based on feedback from patrons and voters, we are planning a series of improvements to both the library building and the services we offer. If you would like to stay in the loop as these improvements are implemented, sign-up for email updates here:
The tabulating is done: PWPL 80.61% YES!
(See Election Summary.)
Because of our amazing library supporters, we will be able to move forward on both much needed repairs and plans to realign spaces so we may better serve the community in the years to come.
If you’ve visited the library recently, you may have noticed display boards on each floor with proposed floor plans. If you haven’t had a chance to see them, you can view the plans here:
The proposed plans are based on feedback from our March Space Planning sessions, conducted with the help of Kimberly Bolan and Associates. (See their Facility Recommendations.)
To better understand why we are looking at space planning at this time, see our Capital Improvement Bond fact sheet to get the complete story.
Library Director Andrea Ingmire, Board of Trustees President Anne Donohue, and spokesman James Jajich from the group, City of Marquette Supporters of Peter White Public Library were recently interviewed on Media Meet.