2020 Census: Avoiding Fraud and Scams
February 11, 2020
The 2020 Census is barely underway and already scams and rumors abound. Let’s shed some light on some of these scams and rumors.
Real census workers or census forms:
- Will NEVER ask you for a donation.
- Will NOT ask you about your bank or credit account numbers.
- Will NOT ask your citizenship status.
- Will NOT share your information with law enforcement officials.
- Will NEVER ask for your Social Security number.
- Will NEVER ask you about political party affiliations.
If someone visits your home to collect a response for the 2020 Census, you can do the following to verify their identity:
- First, check to make sure that they have a valid ID badge, with their photograph, a U.S. Department of Commerce watermark, and an expiration date.
- If you still have questions about their identity, you can call 800-923-8282 to speak with a local Census Bureau representative.
- You can report suspected fraud to a local Census Bureau Representative by calling 800-923-8282 .
For more information go to https://2020census.gov/en/news-events/rumors.html