Reference service is available to anyone; in person, by telephone, or on-line.
The provides the following services:
- Basic level assistance and instructions in the use of reference materials.
- In-depth reference assistance.
- Assistance with Inter-Library Loan requests.
- Appropriate referrals to other sources.
The provides the following assistance:
- Answers questions about directions within the library.
- Answers telephone questions that can be answered quickly; e.g., hours of Library,
and how to spell a word.
- Handles circulation related services; holds on books, etc.
- Microfilm and photocopy help if no one is waiting at Circulation Desk.
- Make referrals to the Reference Desk.
The library staff will not provide medical or tax advice or legal interpretation for patrons.
Some reference questions come through the mail or e-mail. These requests will be answered as soon as possible. When reference/historical requests entail lengthy research/photocopying the library will bill the individual for staff time and postage.
If staff members are busy, the patron on the telephone will be informed that there will be a wait for assistance. The staff will note the name, telephone number, and request for information and pass the message to the next available staff member.
Lengthy research questions will not be done by telephone. The patron will be encouraged to come in to the building to do his/her own research, with the help of library staff.