About the Library
Donate to the Library
In 1905, Sault Sainte Marie opened their first library,
Carnegie Public Library, which was built with grant money from the
Andrew Carnegie Foundation. It was located on Armory Place, where the
original building is now occupied by the Intermediate School District
offices. In 1940 an addition was added to the library. By 1975 the
library outgrew the Carnegie building and a new library was built with
money bequeathed by Joseph and Estelle Bayliss.
The Carnegie Library closed its doors on
February 21, 1975 and the Bayliss Public Library opened on February 28,
1975 at its present location on the corner of Court and Dawson Streets.
At that time the street in front of the library, known locally as the
Peck Street Extension, was renamed "Library Drive." Over 52,000 volumes
were moved from the Carnegie Library by locally owned Weir Moving and
Bayliss Public Library provides
books (in regular, large print, and audio formats), magazines,
newspapers, movies, music, microfilm, genealogical resources,
inter-library loans, computer access, and wireless Internet access. The
Augusta Hursley Seal Children’s Room offers children’s
books, magazines, music, puzzles, toys, story time and other special
programming, along with the use of children’s computers.
Bayliss Public Library is one of eight
Superior District Libraries.
Read more about the history of Bayliss
Public Library in From Carnegie to Bayliss: The First Hundred
Years of Sault Ste. Marie's Public Library, by local author and
researcher Bernie Arbic. Available for sale from the Bayliss Public
Library for $4 plus shipping. Available for purchase at the Circulation
Desk, or email email@example.com.
A library copy is also available for circulation.